Bringing the Magic of Camp to Your Home with Homemade Playdough!
By Heather Buckler, AmeriCorps Camp Outreach Liaison
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
• 1/3 cup table salt
• 1 cup water
• Gel food coloring
• 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
1. Add flour, cream of tartar, and salt to a saucepan; mix until blended. Heat to a medium/low.
2. Add a few drops of food coloring to 1 cup of water, then stir into the flour mixture along with 1 tablespoon
vegetable oil or canola oil.
3. Cook and stir until your playdough starts to solidify. It will be a little lumpy; that’s OK. If your stove is already hot or you have a gas stove, this will only take 20-30 seconds, but might take 2-3 minutes if your electric stove is still warming up.
4. Once the dough starts gathering together around the spoon you know it’s done.
5. Remove your playdough from the saucepan and put it on some waxed paper to cool. Squish and kneed your
dough to remove lumps.
That’s it! You’ve made homemade playdough!